NY SMARTS has built its reputation on the excellence
of its one-on-one tutoring. Our method is unique. We
do several things in particular that are different from
- We make a special effort to match students with
tutors who can best meet their interests and needs.
From an ESL perspective, this means help with reading,
writing, speaking, listening, grammar and diction.
From a professional perspective, this means pairing
students with tutors who have similar creative or
business backgrounds in order to help students with
the material, background and culture that are important
- We do a careful survey and evaluation at the beginning
of each course.
- We create course plans based on our initial evaluation.
- We record progress and issues after every session.
- We evaluate progress at the end of each course.
Our aim is to combine the benefits of formal language
schools with the benefits of having a one-on-one tutor.
Through this combination, we give our students the best
possible means of improving their English.
- Conversation Smarts. Our most popular
course! Learn to speak easily and effectively about
subjects that interest you, master the vocabulary
you need, and improve your grammar.
- Pronunciation Smarts. English sounds
are not so hard – you just need to learn and
practice them! Our dynamic Pronunciation Specialists
can help you discover, make, and master the sounds
- Writing Smarts. Our experts can
help you with journalism, fiction, correspondence,
research and scriptwriting. We
can even help you write your thesis! We recommend
that you work with a tutor in person, but this can
also be done by email.
Many of our students come for two sessions per week
and work with two different tutors. We find that this
help students learn most effectively.